Mappings (was IVOAT)

Alasdair Gray agray at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 01:58:48 PST 2007

Hi Rick, All,

It is good to see Rick include his mappings from the UCD1 vocabulary to
the IVOAT. However, I do not agree with the way in which he has linked
the two vocabularies from a ideological point of view. (I am saying
nothing about whether the terms in the two vocabularies that he has
linked makes sense or not, I am concentrating on the way in which they
are linked.)

Rick has declared the mappings using the skos:related property and
embedded these within the skos version of the vocabulary.

First of all, I feel that the mappings between vocabularies should be
kept completely separate from the skos version of the vocabulary. This
allows us to

1.  Concentrate on generating clean versions of the vocabularies.

2.  Change the mappings without needing to amend the skos version of the
vocabulary.

3.  Use different mappings in different circumstances if this meets our
needs.

Second, I feel that the skos:related property is the wrong way to relate
concepts in different vocabularies. My interpretation of the skos core,
although it is not explicitly stated, is that the properties
skos:related, skos:broader, and skos:narrower, are for defining
relationships between concepts in a single vocabulary. We should be
looking to use the SKOS mapping vocabulary specification [1] for this
purpose. This provides several properties for mapping between concepts
in different vocabularies. (I am in the process of declaring such
mappings between the A&A Keywords and the AOIM vocabularies. Once I have
completed this I will send it around the list.)

Cheers,

Alasdair

1.  http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/mapping/spec/

Alasdair J G Gray