technical issues for vocabs: xml:lang and which skos:*Note tag to use

Douglas Burke dburke at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 26 07:14:53 PST 2007

Two questions below, which I probably should have sent in different emails.

Doug

A) use of xml:lang attributes

Rick's IVOA thesaurus (as do the vocabs from Explicator) includes
entries like

<skos:Concept rdf:about="#accretionDisks">
   <skos:prefLabel>accretion disks</skos:prefLabel>
   <skos:definition>accretion discs        UK</skos:definition>
   <skos:definition>accretion disks</skos:definition>

I think it would be good to add xml:lang attributes, so in this case
we'd have

   <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">accretion disks</skos:prefLabel>
   <skos:definition xml:lang="en-GB">accretion discs</skos:definition>
   <skos:definition xml:lang="en">accretion disks</skos:definition>

Or, if I actually read http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/ then we'd have

<rdf:RDF .... xml:lang="en">
   <skos:prefLabel>accretion disks</skos:prefLabel>
   <skos:definition xml:lang="en-GB">accretion discs</skos:definition>
   <skos:definition>accretion disks</skos:definition>

Is there any reason why we shouldn't add this to the vocabs?

b) what skos:*Note should be used?

Rick's IVOA thesaurus uses skos:scopeNote for adding "extra"
information. The skos guide at
http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-skos-core-guide/#secdocumentation suggests we
should split this up and use one of

  skos:scopeNote
  skos:historyNote
  skos:editorialNote
  skos:changeNote

I can go through and produce a first draft for this (ie how I feel the
labels should be placed) if that would be useful.