What use the AstroOntology

Andrea Preite Martinez andrea.preitemartinez at iasf-roma.inaf.it
Fri Mar 9 04:19:47 PST 2007

> I believe that this is the way to go: Develop a good ontology for
> astronomy, but leave the controversial issues to the communities.
> Then, develop tools that lets astronomers tag resources, but also
> declare clearly what they mean by those tags.
Well, welcome back to the starting case! :-)

Just a few remarks: we don't want to build THE ontology of astronomy,
but just AN ontology of the subset of astronomy that has to do with
(observed) objects or phenomena.

Observational data are (in general!) not controversial: it is not
controversial that LINER galaxies present a nucleus with spectral line
emission from weakly ionized or neutral atoms, such as O, O+, N+, and
S+, and weak line emission from strongly ionized atoms, such as O++,
Ne++, and He+.
This is the information (the knowledge) that goes into the ontology.

Which is the origin of this emission (AGN or star formation region) is
debated, until new observations will allow to better understand the
problem. It is then not a question of "voting", tagging their pet
hypothesis.

Fortunately enough we did'n solve the controversy "Is the Earth
obiting the Sun or the other way round" by voting: our text-books
today whould say that the Sun is orbiting the Earth!!!!

Cheers!

Andrea

PS: even today, I wouldn?t dare to expose that problem to a public vote....

Andrea Preite Martinez                 andrea.preitemartinez at iasf-roma.inaf.it
IASF                                   Tel.IASF:+39.06.4993.4641
Via del Fosso del Cavaliere 100        Tel.CDS :+33.3.90242452
I-00133 Roma                           Cell.1  :+39.320.43.15.383
                                        Cell.2  :+39.