What use the AstroOntology

Anita M. S. Richards a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 23:18:55 PST 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Ashish Mahabal wrote:

> The aliasing mechanism provides for consistency. We could thereby miss some
> truths. We can only hope that we do not miss any interesting ones.
>
> Flikr, blogspot are inconsistent systems in that A would define SN as
> something and B would define SNe as something else, but C may presume them to
> be the same. All will be happy, but at least one will be wrong.

Not necessarily.  I might define a radio supernova, you might define a
gamma ray burst, she might define optical lines.  Any one of these
phenomena might be characteristic of SNe, but not uniquely so; having 2 or
3 definitions together might help to distinguish SNe from AGN etc... Or,
of course, some might be wrong - but lots of things are wrong in astronomy
in the sense that we don't yet know everything (otherwise we'd be out of a
job anyway!).  Similarly, my Seyfert 2 Markarian 348 may be your Grand
Design spiral NGC 262 (as seen in HI) but they are the same galaxy -
unless Halton Arp is right and the AGN is an unrelated phenomenon.

There has been a lot of discussion in data modelling about 'sources' v.
'objects' (i.e. attempting to classify descriptions v. the astronomical
origins of emission) whch might help, too. I am certainly not equipped to
know what are the most powerful reasoning methods but I'd be happy to give
things a go when there is something to test.

all the best

Anita