Unique Name Assumption

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Wed Apr 18 13:40:55 PDT 2007

It does not seem to me to be a good idea to make individual
elements/atoms instances in the first place.  What if someone needs to
refer to a specific atom sitting in their Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)?
  For this you would want to make an individual of the Class Carbon.
<Carbon rdf:ID="MyCarbonAtom"/> where Carbon is a class.  This also
makes it possible to add isotopic species as subclasses.  We should
refrain from using individuals except for a named individual in the
universe: Earth, Algol, M31, Mike Brown, MyBigRedChair.

One still should make the various types of atoms owl:disjointWith, but,
as I mentioned previously, we really need a new version of OWL to make
this more manageable because nearly every class is distinct from every
other class in astronomy.  In any event the only loss if you do not use
disjointWith is that a reasoner can not spot an error if someone tries
MyCarbonAtom is both Carbon and Silicon.

Ed

Thanks, Elyes for pointing out a weakness here.
Ed