More obscure analogies

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jun 6 23:45:46 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 4:28 PM, Bernard Vatant wrote:

> Cool. I love recursive definitions :)  That one is certainly
> operational - fit for everyday life affairs. But to provide a
> scientific definition of human kind as a species, forget it, it's
> easily broken ...

Actually, I think it is fairly close to what would be regarded as the
current "scientific definition".  More to the point, it isn't clear
that "everyday" and "scientific" definitions are, or should be,
different.  Certainly complexity of expression doesn't equal depth of
understanding.

> I would be happy to trace my ancestors back to, say, 200 millions
> years ago, and meet them one by one - just to check the humanity
> breaking point

But evolution contains the context for addressing these issues, too.
Our most recent common ancestor with chimpanzees was something like
seven million years ago. See Richard Dawkins' fabulous "Ancestor's
Tale".

> ... Not to mention my descendents 200 millions years from now

It may indeed be impossible to describe entities that do not yet exist.

> "When in Earth history did humanity begin?" is a question exactly
> similar to : "When in Universe history did galaxies appear"?

Well, no.  The underlying "equations of state", if you will, are very
different.  Galactic evolution is evolution in name only.  You've
already pointed out the chicken and egg problem for biological
entities.  Life is a rich binary tree of cousins - many branch
points, many "buds".  Galaxies were always galaxies.  Before that,
they were only proto-galaxies.  Our non-human ancestors had their own
identities - they were never "proto-humans".  One would be more
correct to compare the first galaxies to the appearance of the first
eukaryotic cell, perhaps - but even then the complexity of the web of
life is both greater (in variety) and less (in the knowledge
compression of evolutionary genetics) than that of "mere" astronomy.

> a species is still something very difficult to define, and hard to
> observe. I won't elaborate on the details here, but I had an
> interesting breakfast with a botanist a while ago, which definitely
> destroyed in my mind the notion of any "objective" definition of
> what a species is ...

It may not be surprising that the taxonomy of Linnaeus may need
tweeking after 250 years.  The notion of a species is quite different
- perhaps nonexistent - for entities that reproduce asexually.  See
http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/map2.html.

> "Undecidable" was not adequate a word, I agree, if you read it in
> its strict logical sense. I mean you can chose any arbitrary limit,
> like geographs do for the classification of cities, by setting
> arbitrary population thresholds ...

But "city" is an arbitrary notion.  "Human" and "Galaxy" have
intrinsic meaning, no matter how difficult to pin down.  My original
comments were specifically about the word "event".  An event is not
only an arbitrary notion - it is a whole constellation of arbitrary
notions.

Rob Seaman
NOAO