some semantic puzzles from VOEvent

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jun 3 07:20:28 PDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 6:00 AM, Bernard Vatant wrote:

> Just an addition after eventually finding out the VOEvent schema ...
> http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaVOEvent/VOEvent-0.90.pdf

The document has evolved a bit in response to comments from Kyoto.
I've appended v0.92.  Rick Hessman has a draft schema that is now
somewhat out of date:

     http://monet.uni-sw.gwdg.de/twiki/bin/viewauth/VOEvent

> ... good to see everything I wrote below is mostly useless, since
> it's all in that
> document, basically. Sorry for the noise.

Actually, I found your message very useful.  Roy's questions were
directed at the hardest issues we met at the workshop.  We (somewhat
miraculously) reached a consensus on how to simplify the issues for
the short term, but they haven't gone away.  In short, we're fast
approaching v1.0 of VOEvent, but v2.0 is anticipated when other VO
facilities mature sufficiently.  In general, VOEvent will provide an
excellent motivator for a number of other VO technologies.

Rob Seaman
NOAO