Part II - Geometry

Ed Shaya Edward.J.Shaya.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 20 12:33:33 PST 2005

The appendix lost its linefeeds, so I put them back in.

Ed

Astronomy Ontology: Part II - Geometry

Everything in the Geometry ontology is a subclass of GeometricEntity
which is a direct subclass of owl:Thing.
This helps makes things tidy  at the level below Thing.

Lets start with geo:Space and its properties:

Space  hasDimensionality [single nonNegativeInteger] # Just the number
                                         #of Dimensions in the Space
    hasDimension [multiple q:Quantity]   #Can make a list of the
                                  #Dimensions (presumably orthogonal)

    hasSlice [multiple Space]     #Infinite slice (ie, drop a few
                                  #dimensions if you like)

    sliceOf [single Space]        #inverse_of_hasSlice

    hasRegion [single Region]     #Any section of the Space

Note that Space will probably be used to define parameter spaces or
a physical Space (Dimensions of length, width, height say), a subclass
of this would be astro:Space which refers only to Space of the Universe
or a simulation of the Universe.

To describe Region we need to work our way up from Shape and Point.
I made an arbitrary decision that Shape is the boundaryOf Region.  Thus
if we say a Shape Square, this refer to the boundary of a square Region.
If we say Shape Sphere, this refers to the surface of the solid
Spherical region.
Here is the class Hierarchy for Shape:

Shape

* Any-D_Shape   \*Dimension of shape depends on min dimensions
                    \*needed to describe it.  Of course, it may be
		       \*mapped to another space where the dimensionality
                    \*is different.
* Curve         \*Curves can wander around N-dimensional

* One-D_Shape

      o Line

            + Directrix

      o LineSegment

            + Chord

                  # Diameter

            + Diagonal

            + Side

                  # Edge

      o Ray

* Point

      o Center

            + CenterOfMass  \*Well, maybe this and the next
                                \*belong in physics.
            + CenterOfRotation

            + GeometricCenter

      o EndPoint

      o FocusPoint

      o Pole

      o Vertex

      o VertexOfParabola
Here I interrupt the list of shapes for brevity, and put the rest of
the list at the end as an appendix.

All Shapes inherit the following properties:

Shape embeddedIn [single Space | multiple Region]
   similarTo [multiple Space]
   congruentTo [multiple Shape]
   definedBy  [multiple Intersection | mutiple sci:Expression
			| multiple LineSegment]

LineSegment has a restricted definedBy
LineSegment definedBy  [2 EndPoint]

And now we can look at Region Class

* Region

      o Intersection

            + ast:AscendingNode

            + ast:DescendingNode

      o Union

      o Point  \* Point is both Region and Shape (because it
		 \* does not make too much sense to talk about
		 \* its boundary

Region hasBoundary [single Shape]
     hasSubClass Intersection ofRegion [multiple Region]
                                  ofShape [multiple Shape]

So, a region is built by defining its boundary or by intersecting
Regions or Shapes or by the Union of them.
Perhaps other ways will be added.

One more item before I run out of time.
Angle hasAngularSize [single sci:AngularSize]

Thus there can be a thing AngleA which hasAngularSize 7degpm3
Where 7degpm3 is a q:Quantity/sci:Measurement
7degpm3 value 7
     units deg
     error 3

Well, we didn't get to coordinates in this.  Maybe in the next Part.
=================================
Appendix: The rest of the Shapes
Projection

        ParallelProjection