Multi-conference report: VO and SW

Bernard Vatant bernard.vatant at mondeca.com
Mon Dec 5 03:40:45 PST 2005

To follow Tony's arguments, see also current debates about other "controversial" or
"non-conventional" URI schemes.

CURIEs (Compact URIs)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Nov/0184.html

INFO URI
http://www.niso.org/news/releases/pr-InfoURI-11-05.html

> d) no one but an astronomer could possibly interpret our resources anyway and they'll
all be 'in the know'.

Yes, I think this is a killer argument. IPTC pushes the use of CURIEs, for similar reasons
(news agencies will be the only users).

Bottom line : SW folks assume an "unique open information world", but the reality is that
URIs will be used in semi-open (or semi-closed) worlds, or communities of users, inside
which "universal" identifiers such as http URLs will not be relevant.

Cheers

Bernard

Bernard Vatant
Mondeca Knowledge Engineering