Multi-conference report: VO and SW

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Dec 5 01:16:58 PST 2005

> I would appreciate an elaboration of why it ivo: is bad. It

I think it isn't Norman saying this but the W3C. See his section
http://nxg.me.uk/note/2005/vo-and-sw/#dcc. They're simply saying that a
proliferation of naming schemes is bad practice, presumably because only
those in the know can interpret those naming schemes - they aren't globally
interpretable.

Personally, it doesn't worry me because a) our URI scheme generally follows
the guidelines for naming; b) as is pointed out, plenty of others are doing
the same; c) we also provide DC standard details so the metadata is globally
available even if the data isn't; d) no one but an astronomer could possibly
interpret our resources anyway and they'll all be 'in the know'.

Cheers,
Tony.