UMLS (Unified Medical Language System)

Reagan Moore moore at sdsc.edu
Sat Sep 28 17:59:23 PDT 2002

Roy:
Amarnath Gupta at SDSC has implemented the UMLS ontology in an Oracle
database.  This is a collection of roughly 2 million terms and some 7
million relationships.

The goal of the implementation was to understand scalability
mechanisms for manipulating large ontologies, understand how to map
the annotated relationships to logical rules, and understand how to
apply the logical rules to query across collections with disparate
semantic labels and attributes.

We have used the ontology for tasks such as:

- parse a report to identify relevant words
- use the UMLS ontology to identify a broader context that includes
the identified words
- access the medpub collection to retrieve similar reports on the same subject.

Reagan