VEP-015: relationship_type#References

August (Gus) Muench august.fly at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:35:31 CET 2024

It is worth repeating Edwin's link:
https://support.datacite.org/docs/contributing-citations-and-references

which points out that DataCite is dictating that
Cites/References/Supplements are identical (semantically) on the network
graph. This makes me a little sad. The only thing that matters is
directionality.

If it is a case of semantic trench warfare then I'm with Edwin. I think
Cites is more generic than References and Supplements when looking _only_
at the DataCite terminology:

Cites: "indicates that A includes B in a citation"
IsSupplementTo:  "indicates that A is a supplement to B"

I think perhaps that we are overloading "cites" as "appearing in an
aritcle's bibliography", noting that appearing in an article's bibliography
contains exactly zero information about why it appears there.

Appearing in the relatedIdentifiers of a dataset is also a citation. Some
might say that being extracted from the full text of an article or dataset
and expressed as a Scholix relationship is also a "citation".  Again, I
think that "citation" is the more generic term as it doesn't try to
describe the relationship at all.

Gus

August (Gus) Muench
august.fly at gmail.com