[Ops] non-responsive services in the Registry

Pierre Le Sidaner pierre.lesidaner at obspm.fr
Tue Jul 11 12:17:48 CEST 2023

On 10/07/2023 09:38, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Hi Tess,
>
> Thanks for tackling this.
>
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 01:18:46PM +0000, Jaffe, Tess (GSFC-6601) wrote:
>> So I'm looking for information about how to remove services from
>> the registry that are not responding and whose responsible contacts
>> aren't either.  Renaud pointed me at a mention on the Ops page
>> (https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IvoaOps#Procedure%20for%20Removing%20Non-Respo)
>> which refers to "A revised procedure was adoped by the IVOA in
>> October 2016."  But we don't find it.  Anybody know where I can
>> hear about what other registries are doing and what we should do?
> Well... this, I seem to remember, refers to item 7 in these Exec
> minutes:
> <https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaRepMin/ivoa-fm66-20161020.pdf>.
> I think Pierre had a nicely worked-out paper back then that I may
> even be able to dig out if necessary.  Pierre, if you have it at
> hand, can you perhaps put it on the twiki in some suitable position?
>
> But then in practice here's what I've been doing when I encounter
> dead services by chance, typically because dead services have bad
> resource records, too:
>
> (1) use the contact address to ask the service's operators
>
> (2) if they are unresponsive, try the originating publishing
> registry's operators
>
> (2a) if they are responsive, work with them to either get the service
> fixed or have it removed from their publishing registries
>
> (2b) if they are unresponsive, see whether any living services are
> published through that registry (in case *it* is still alive).  If
> that is the case (never has been), improvise.  Otherwise, ask the
> Exec to tell the RofR to remove the dead publishing registry.
>
> Perhaps that's something we should note down on the Twiki, perhaps on
> a page linked to by Ops and Registry?
>
>                 -- Markus

I will talk about experience in removing ghost service from the
registry, our (group of cleaners) where having a step that are more
empirical

1) As Markus said, first try to contact the owner of the service, in
those case usually nobody answer, because we had already did that many time.

2) try to see in the same institute if you know somebody close to ...
Sometime it worked, mean we have an answer like "it's dead you can
remove it"

In that case you go with this answer to the owner of the registry where
the service is registered and ask to make it in status='inactive'

3) still no answer, try to find (usually on exec) the national
representative in iVOA

sometime it solve the problem, because he know who is now in charge of
the service and it can allow to change the resource content or pass it
to inactive

4) nothing work, ask exec to take a decision on the status of the
resource to remove it from registry

I hope it helped

Regards

Pierre

      	     		   Pierre Le Sidaner
                      Observatoire de Paris - PSL

Directeur de la Direction Informatique de l'Observatoire
Directeur technique de Paris Astronomical Data Centre
tel : 01 40 51 20 82
77 Av Denfert Rochereau 75014 Paris

mailto:pierre.lesidaner at observatoiredeparis.psl.eu
http://dio.obspm.fr   http://padc.obspm.fr