Fwd: Advanced Column Statistics

ada nebot ada.nebot at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Oct 21 16:42:32 CEST 2021

Dear Markus, dear Registry,

I think it would be great to be able to get information on the distribution
of a specific column. So I’d like to follow-up on this Note you distributed
a while ago…

Has there been any further take-up from providers?

Some thoughts…
Adding higher order moments, the skewness and the kurtosis,
might give information on the underlying distribution.
That said, any choice can be debated. And percentiles are easy to understand
and calculate. I just find it a bit odd not to add values so used as mean and
standard deviation, but given the fact that underlying population might not be
a normal distribution, if added / used it deserves a bit of caution.

Thanks,
Ada

--
Astronome Adjointe
CDS, Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg (ObAS)