VOResource 1.1 rights

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Jan 16 14:55:35 CET 2018

Dear Registry members,

Concerning "rights" mention I would say that the best method is the
method which is really used. Potential multiple rights mentions is
probably not a good point for this rule. A free text field is
definitively more flexible that the current VOResource 1.0 solution, and
can tackle all potential various rights situation.

Below, an excerpt of our private discussion between Markus and myself
concerning Aladin usage of registry rights.

Cheers
Pierre

Le 08/01/2018 à 14:35, Pierre Fernique a écrit :
> Le 03/01/2018 à 11:56, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
(...)
> More importantly, I'd be curious to learn your opinions on the
>> questions raised and what your use cases are.  In particular, where
>> do the strings ("Contact rights holder...") above come from?  Where
>> do you display them?  Whereever they come from: are they queriable
>> there?  Have there ever been requests from anyone to make them
>> queriable?
> We have some collections, notably Mellinger HiPS, for which the author
> explicitly asked us to provide this kind of mention. More common, most
> of collections are not really "public". The access is free but the
> copy for a redistribution may be not allowed by the rights holders.
> The best example is the DSS, and all derived digitized survey from
> Schmidt plates surveys. For catalogs and tables the rights are
> probably more complex notably for the big part of literature tables.
> I'm not an expert on this point but as these tables are published by
> editors, the original author has signed a paper to partially abandon
> his rights to the editor, I suppose that the associated tables follow
> the same rule. CDS has several formal agreements with editors to
> publish these tables but that do not remove the editor rights. For
> paper funding by French government, the editor will automatically lost
> the right hold after one year (it is new after a big debate). So after
> this period, the rights holder becomes again the original author.
> Depending of its status (public funding or not) this table may or may
> not be really "public". In Aladin Desktop we display this rights
> mention at various places (see below).
>
> In practice we use 4 notions linked together: 1) the copyrigth
> mention, 2) the acknowledgement mention, 3) the provenance (or
> hierarchy of provenance), 4) the reference bibliographic code. These
> information are decoupled to the possible authorization technical
> parameters.

(...)