VOResource 1.1 implementation

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Feb 27 15:16:28 CET 2018

Dear Registry,

Good news: All the reviews for VOResource 1.1 are now in:

http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VOResource11RFC

Now, we should all be good citizens and actually show additional
implementation expericence before asking the TCG chairs and exec to
finally turn this into a REC; it's not always straightforward to say
what "implementation" actually means for an XML schema like
VOResource, but I'd say registry records using this stuff and RegTAP
(in this case, the 1.1 draft) making it discoverable count.

Looking at the Changelog and comparing this to what practice I'm
aware of, I'd come up with the following list of things I'd like to
see in some resource record out there (ideally being used for
something) before I'm confident we've not messed up:

* creator/altIdentifier (i.e., ORCIDs -- come on, your data providers
  have been waiting for this, haven't they?)
* date/@role (see if you have terms to add to the vocabulary -- it's
  never again going to be as easy as now!)
* service/rights/@rightsURI -- try to declare your data licenses
  machine-readably.  I'm reasonably sure we can cover the normal use
  cases because we're copying DataCite's content model here, but it
  sure would be great to have a bit more experience
* interface/mirrorURL -- do you have mirror services?  VizieR, could
  you perhaps try this for a few of your resources?  Or perhaps for
  Simbad?
* interface/securityMethod -- folks, the time to register your
  access-restricted resources is *now*.  We really want to get this
  right just about now.

Any implementation feedback on this (or, of course, anything else in
VOResource) would be highly welcome.  It'd be great if we could get
VOResource 1.1 approved in Victoria, and having an additional pair of
eyes have a look at at least each of the five points above before
that would be excellent.

Thanks,

           Markus