Setting up a registry

Chenzhou CUI ccz at bao.ac.cn
Fri Nov 10 05:28:40 CET 2017

Hi. All,

The China-VO has the same requirement for a Registry. It would be great
if there is an easy solution or just a package.

Several years ago, AstroGrid had ever released a tomcat package. But
now, AstroGrid has gone.

Cheers,

Chenzhou

On 2017/11/9 22:42, Sebastien Derriere wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For the CDS/VizieR publishing registry, it was implemented in PERL
> using as
> a base libraries developed at Virginia Tech., but modified to retrieve
> metadata from
> Sybase, then PostgreSQL databases to build records.
> I guess the original source code has moved, but now is here :
> http://www.husseinsspace.com/research/projects/xmlfile/
>
> I'd rather do it in Python today, using a library like :
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyoai
> (has anyone used this one?)
>
> If you need to test your registry for compliance with the OAI-PMH
> protocol,
> this is a link I found useful :
> http://re.cs.uct.ac.za/
>
> Sébastien
>

> Le 09/11/2017 à 09:41, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 12:57:10PM +1100, Simon O'Toole wrote:
>>> We are interested in setting up a publishing registry for IVOA
>>> services for our new Data Central system; we have a TAP service and
>>> will soon have several Simple Cone Search services and an Simple
>>> Image Access service, plus more services in the pipeline.
>> Ah -- we should really have a nice and concise page with a couple of
>> standard answers to this and related questions.
>>
>>> How do we go about this? We don't want to be re-inventing the
>>> wheel, so any assistance or pointers would be most welcome!
>> OAI-PMH as such isn't a terribly complicated protocol, but producing
>> the records themselves programatically can be a bit involved
>> depending on how you currently keep your metadata.  So, my
>> recommendation is to start with that (some publication tools already
>> do that for you, but that isn't likely to be terribly helpful if
>> you've written your own software).
>>
>> There's a short introduction on
>>
>> http://dc.zah.uni-heidelberg.de/purx/q/enroll/info#write-registry-records-from-scratch
>>

>> -- feedback on what additional information would be helpful is highly
>> welcome.
>>
>> To see if you got it roughly right, use a normal XML schema validator
>> (if you give schemaLocation).  You can also use purx for that if you
>> put your piece of VOResource on the web.
>>
>> purx, http://dc.g-vo.org/purx/q/enroll/custom, in addition is an
>> alternative to running a full-fledged publishing registry if you
>> forsee that you'll only have a dozen or so resources.  Have a look at
>> the docs if you're interested.
>>
>> As to speaking OAI-PMH yourself, there are several generic tools out
>> there (e.g., https://www.openarchives.org/pmh/tools/) that may be
>> helpful in setting up a complete registry.  I'm afraid I can't be
>> more specific than that since I've never used any of those -- perhaps
>> someone else can chime in?
>>
>> There is furthermore some code around for more VO-specific OAI-PMH.
>> DaCHS has a python implementation that, however, is pretty closely
>> integrated with both twisted/nevow and DaCHS' metadata management;
> [...]

Chenzhou Cui
National Astronomical Observatory | Tel: +86-10-64872500
Chinese Academy of Sciences       | FAX: +86-10-64888708
20A Datun Road, Chaoyang District | Email: ccz at bao.ac.cn
Beijing 100012, China             | WWW: www.lamost.org/~cb