VOResource 1.1 RFC

Baptiste Cecconi baptiste.cecconi at obspm.fr
Thu Jun 8 10:32:55 CEST 2017

> Le 8 juin 2017 à 09:48, Markus Demleitner <msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> a écrit :
>
> Hi Baptiste,

>> I've posted a few links in the TDIG discussion page of last interop in Shanghai:
>> http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpMay2017-TD-001 <http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpMay2017-TD-001>
>
> Ah -- you make an interesting point on that page: "refer to ORCID".
> Which made me wonder: what would author identifiers in the VO
> Registry do that ORCID can't?  And can't that perhaps fixed in ORCID?
> My take always is that fewer identifier types are better -- and when
> we're confident ORCIDs will work for our use cases, we could even
> deprecate ivo-id on creator and contributor…

> Note that with VOResource 1.1, curation/creator already has
> altIdentifier, which you can use to put ORCIDs in (contributor
> doesn't though, since at the Sydney and Cape Town interops, there was
> zero interest in having that; this could still be changed).
>
>       -- Markus

Indeed ORCID could do it for persons.
I will try to use use the existing altIdentifier attribute to refer to orc-id and spase-id.
I would need it for all elements that could be a person/party, so having it back on contributor would be needed.

However, when the contact/contributor/creator is a team or an organizing, we should use the ivo-id.
I'll see on real-life examples and come back to you.

Baptiste