VOResource 1.1: Vocabularies, part 1

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Sep 6 14:52:52 CEST 2016

Hi Theresa,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 01:53:14PM +0000, Theresa Dower wrote:
> From the registry end, I'm for externalizing the vocabularies for
> these elements, as we spoke about in Stellenbosch. I'd strongly
> suggest keeping a suggested/shorthand list of the original terms in
> the VOResource document. This is trivial to do and helps folks who

The problem with this is that of the vocabulary current at the time
of writing in this way becomes somewhat "canonical", and people might
be severely tempted to see that list as final.

But I see the "one-stop" argument, and most of the time the
vocabularies won't grow that much anyway.  So, I'm experimentally
listing the terms (but no descriptions or relationships), for now,
for content/contentLevel and content/type in the document and make
the links to the actual vocabularies more explicit.  See page 29 on
http://docs.g-vo.org/VOResource.pdf for two examples.

Do you think that's good enough?  Do you have examples for where
someone has got this kind of vocaculary representation right?

What this also points to is the question of when one may upload the
vocabularies -- right now, the links in the document of course point
nowhere, which is a bit of a pain for validation.  Should we argue
that the vocabularies should be uploaded to ivoa.net by the time this
becomes PR?

          -- Markus