Identifiers 2.0 Public RFC results

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 25 17:55:48 CEST 2015

Hi Markus,

That's for adding in the examples in the new draft.  I think I learned a
few things just reading them over and I really think they make it easier
to understand.

Looking at your response to my comments in the RFC page:

    - I saw a space instead of a ~ using the SeaMonkey web browser which
uses the same rendering engine as FireFox I think.
    - With regard to the redundancy of one of the must-nots: as sense
is  there was redundancy if % was not an unreserved character.  But I
couldn't tell since <unreserved> is never defined and it was too tedious
to actually check it out in the likely reference document..  I've done
so now and my understanding is that this is the definition of unreserved:

    unreserved  = ALPHA / DIGIT / "-" / "." / "_" / "~"

Since % is not one of these characters, you can't % escape another
unreserved character since that implies using % which is not one of the
characters you're allowed.   So I think that the MUST not is indeed
redundant in the sense that it forbids no authority that would be legal
under all of the other rules.

It's not a big deal -- the redundancy is harmless -- but I think it
illustrates why it would be nice to have the definition of unreserved in
the document.   It doesn't take much space and it makes it much more
self-contained -- you can check its consistency without having to make
external references.  I'd prefer to be able to use a single document to
be able to tell if my ID's are valid or not.

     Tom