Identifiers 2.0 Public RFC results

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Oct 7 12:04:53 CEST 2015

Dear Registry,

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 12:33:37PM -0700, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> I like the like the idea that someone could resolve a pubDID in a fairly
> predictable way:
>
> - pull out this part of the ID
> - look that up in the ivoa registry
> - *if* you grok the standardID(s) you find there, you can probably act in
> some way
>
> Aside from making the recipe for the first step explicit, everything else is
> pretty much stuff people can do now and could always have done. My
[...]
> Maybe the more complex parts of the resolution could be left to an
> informative document (IVOA Note?) that shows how to use various standards
> together to deliver something. There could be several such notes and I'm
> sure DataLink would figure in most of them. I would be interested in that
> approach (working n those documents) if you decide to simplify what is in
> Identifiers-2.0
>
> So, +1 for keeping resolution a pubDID to a registered resource, but after
> that ...

Ok, I've made an attempt at language expressing that in volute rev.
3090 (see the diff without checking out using
svn diff -r3089:3090 https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/registry/Identifiers
)

Here's what it says now:

  Note that by this specification publishers have no obligation to
  ensure continued access to datasets identified with PubDIDs. They
  are not persistent identifiers with guarantees on resolvability.
  Their main function is to provide globally unique identifiers for use
  in, e.g., federating responses from different services.

  Publishers are, however, encouraged to provide PubDID-resolving
  services[2] as a capability of the resource referenced by the Registry
  part of a PubDID. In that way, clients can attempt to resolve
  standalone PubDIDs by querying the registry for the "embedding"
  resource and seeing if it supports any PubDID-resolving protocol they
  understand.

and the footnote 2 is:

  At the time of this writing, Datalink, Obscore, and SSA are IVOA
  recommended protocols allowing the resolution of PubDIDs with various
  mechanisms. SIA (Tody & Plante 2009) will, according to current
  proposed recommendations, have a PubDID-resolving facility in version
  2.0

Does that reflect something like a consensus we've reached here?

Again, everyone is invited to directly commit to volute to improve
language or content.

Cheers,

        Markus