Identifiers 2.0 Public RFC results

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Oct 6 21:33:37 CEST 2015

I like the like the idea that someone could resolve a pubDID in a fairly
predictable way:

- pull out this part of the ID
- look that up in the ivoa registry
- *if* you grok the standardID(s) you find there, you can probably act
in some way

Aside from making the recipe for the first step explicit, everything
else is pretty much stuff people can do now and could always have done.
My experience is that this is often true but people desire more explicit
instructions -- essentially on how to use a stack of different standards
together. That is also true of the whole SIAv2, TAP, DataLink,
AccessData pile of standards: they can work together to deliver some
important features. The hard part is figuring out which document(s)
should convey the bigger picture of what can be done with all the parts.

Maybe the more complex parts of the resolution could be left to an
informative document (IVOA Note?) that shows how to use various
standards together to deliver something. There could be several such
notes and I'm sure DataLink would figure in most of them. I would be
interested in that approach (working n those documents) if you decide to
simplify what is in Identifiers-2.0

So, +1 for keeping resolution a pubDID to a registered resource, but
after that ...

--
Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)