New Registry/directory services at VAO/STScI

Theresa Dower dower at stsci.edu
Thu May 15 08:38:14 PDT 2014

All,

After a great deal of work moving the underlying registry at STScI to a format allowing us to more easily support RegTAP and contribute to its schema, the VAO team at STScI has deployed our new registry services at http://vao.stsci.edu/directory, with search services at the same relative paths we've  used in prior incarnations of the registry . For the many individuals and clients already using  the newer version of our services at http://vao.stsci.edu/directory, this change should be transparent. For those using the http://nvo.stsci.edu/vor10 -based services, these are deprecated, not being automatically harvested to from the RofR, and will not be supported indefinitely. Curation efforts are ongoing. If you experience any new issues with the system, please contact the VAO help desk or myself.  A formal release with documentation and available code will be part of the VAO. We expect to have a RegTAP service and at least one mirror system up in the near future as some of our next projects.

Directory URLS of interest include:

http://vao.stsci.edu/directory/oai.aspx standard OAI interface
http://vao.stsci.edu/directory/RIStandardService.asmx  SOAP-based standard query
http://vao.stsci.edu/directory/NVORegInt.asmx non-standard VOTable search service
http://vao.stsci.edu/directory main user-facing search page

Many thanks to Ray Plante for his work on the schema and updating the ADQL-based standard query, to Pat Norris, Randy Thompson, and Michael Preciado for their testing and validation work, Markus and the other folks working on the registry schema standard for their flexibility with our database needs, and Gretchen and the rest of the VAO team for their support in getting this out the door.

--Theresa Dower