new take on resource registration best practice

Ray Plante rplante at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 23 03:58:14 PDT 2013

Hi RWGers,

At the IVOA meeting in Hawaii
(http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpSep2013Registry), the
Registry Working Group continued its discussion of a unified
convention/best practice for registering data collections and their
services.  In particular, Markus Demleitner raised a significant issue
with a proposal we've discussed for some time and I outlined
explicitly in Heidelburg.  This led to some rethinking about the best
way to register collections.

In short, that previous proposal recommended that if you had a
collection of data to register, you would register it first as a
DataCollection (and include all the science metadata), and then you
would register the services that access that collection as separate
resources.  Markus, in his presentation, showed that this led to some
really messy, hard-to-construct queries using RegTAP.

We had some breakout discussions to consider a different approach that
would allow for simpler queries.  A leading idea was to register a
data collection and all the services that access it as a single
resource (with multiple capability elements).

I would like to open up this discussion generally (particularly for
those who could not attend the Interop).  I've create a twiki page,
http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/RegisteringBestPracticesDisc,
that tries to summarize the issue and lay out this new proposal for
registering data collections and their services.  There is a question
as to whether the CatalogService resource type is sufficient for
registering collections in this way or whether a new resource type
(which looks more/less like a CatalogService) is needed.  The page
also examines various typical and special cases.

Please offer any comments either via the mailing list or as additions
to the RegisteringBestPracticesDisc page.  (If you do the latter, you
might ping the rest of us with a quick note to the list saying that've
made updates.)