SimpleDALRegExt: maxImageSize

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 26 05:09:24 PDT 2012

Hi again,

I report on the results of our discussion of maxImageSize (see

A fourth suggestion was proposed by the group which is a variation on
option 2 below in which we represent the limit as a single number.
While there was broad concensus on this, there was much discussion
about whether this number should represent the maximum number of
pixels on a side or the maximum total number of pixels in the image.
(We note that this value is primarily relevant for implementations
that will create images on the fly, either as a cut-out or otherwise
generated to the user's spec from source data).  While there were
arguments for both sides, it was observed that which is the
fundemental measure of the limit is implementation specific.  I also
noted that this metadatum was recommended by the SIA v1 spec; further,
Doug Tody suggested that it was likely that a new extension will
likely be developed for SIA v2.

Without clear consensus, the group endorsed the recommendation that
the value be represented by a single number and that I be charged with
choosing the meaning that most closely matches what is defined in the
SIA v1 spec for consistancy.

I looked at the SIA spec which says,

   MaxImageSize: The maximum image size in pixels, e.g., "8192 8192".

I conclude that the most consistent definition for the value would be
that it represent the maximum length in pixels of one side of the
image.  When a service is in fact limited by the total
number of pixels (and able to produce non-square images), this number
should be set to the square-root of that total number so that requests
whose sides are all less than the maxImageSize value will be do-able.

I will update the document and post it to the twiki, letting the list
know when it is there.  Very soon after that, it will be submitted for
TCG review.  Objections should be raised ASAP.