Registry maheym, WISE.

August (Gus) Muench august.fly at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:05:21 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Sebastien Derriere
<sebastien.derriere at astro.unistra.fr> wrote:
> Le 23/10/2012 18:49, August (Gus) Muench a écrit :
>
>> Version: TOPCAT Pre-release topcat-full.jar file from ftp:// (Dated:
>> 9/27/2012) and tagged “TOPCAT Version 3.9+, STIL Version 3.0-3+,
>> Starjava version 10308.
>>
>> Registry Mayhem.
>>
>> There are four registry entries for VO Cone searches:
>>

>> http://registry.astrogrid.org/astrogrid-registry/services/RegistryQueryv1_0
>> (default)
>>
>> http://alt.registry.astrogrid.org/astrogrid-registry/services/RegistryQueryv1_0
>> http://nvo.stsci.edu/vor10/ristandardservice.asmx
>> http://registry.euro-vo.org/services/RegistrySearch
>

>   Hi Gus,
>
>   I guess this is mainly an issue with the registry search interfaces. I've
> tried
> to query directly the different registries via the OAI-PMH protocol for this
> resource (ivo://CDS.VizieR/II/311).
>
>   Namely, these are :
> 1) for registry.astrogrid.org
> http://balder.roe.ac.uk:8080/astrogrid-registry/OAIHandlerv1_0?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor&identifier=ivo://CDS.VizieR/II/311
> 2) for alt.registry.astrogrid.org
> http://msslxv.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/astrogrid-registry/OAIHandlerv1_0?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor&identifier=ivo://CDS.VizieR/II/311
> 3) for vao.stsci.org
> http://vao.stsci.edu/directory/oai.aspx?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor&identifier=ivo://CDS.VizieR/II/311
> 4) for registry.euro-vo.org
> http://registry.euro-vo.org/oai.jsp?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ivo_vor&identifier=ivo://CDS.VizieR/II/311
>
> 1, 3 and 4 answer properly with consistent metadata.
> 2 does not answer
>
>   So the resource description has been properly harvested by
> at least 3 out of 4 of the registries that TopCat is listing, and is
> readily available via OAI-PMH protocol.
>   Of course, if the search, i.e. the resource discovery, is broken,
> this is bad...

Thanks, Sebastian.  Since yesterday it appears that #1 has been
resurrected, so its failure to respond was not due to the interface.
The failure of #3 has been established to be caused by a search
interface rather than inconsistent metadata.

This leaves #4, which still does not return ivo://CDS.VizieR/II/311 as
a cone search endpoint when querying on keyword "WISE" in TOPCAT. I'll
leave that up to others to figure out why.

 - gus

--
August (Gus) Muench
august.fly at gmail.com