StandardsRegExt: links to schemas

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 17 04:00:26 PST 2012

Hi again,

Following up more on TCG review comments, we had a very good
suggestion from Andreas Wicenec recommending that we not only make the
human-readable standards document discoverable via this record but
also the schema document.  Providing a link to an example instance is
also suggested.  I want to propose a means for doing this and your
feedback is requested.  In particular, if anyone thinks it is too late
in the process to introduce additional elements into the schema.

Here's an example of what I propose

  <schema namespace="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/SIA/v1.0">
    <locationURL>http://www.ivoa.net/xml/SIA/v1.0</location>
    <description>VOResource extension schema for registering SIA
services</description>
    <example>http://rofr.ivoa.net/examples/SIA.xml</example>
  </schema>

Here are definition details:
  o  this would be part of a vstd:Standard resource type (and
       thus inherited by vstd:ServiceStandard)
  o  the <schema> element would be optional and could appear multiple
       times
  o  the <schema> element could appear multiple times
  o  the namespace attribute and <locationURL> would be required
  o  the <description> element is optional
  o  the <example> element would be optional and could appear
       multiple times

Note that some of our standards define multiple schemas (e.g.
SimpleDALRegExt and RegistryInterface), thus the need for multiple
occurances.  When we have multiple occurances, we need a way to
distinguish between them:  the namespace attribute serves as the
label, and the <description> element differentiates them for the human
viewer.  Note that for IVOA schemas, the namespace and location are
identical; however, this would not necessarily be true for non-IVOA
schemas nor for working draft versions.

Note also that the schemas are not necessarily independent of each
other; consequently, an example might well require or benefit from the
use of multiple schemas.  The publisher can choose the most
appropriate <schema> element to put the example into (or could even
repeat the URL across multiple <schema> elements).

I made no attempt to identify what type of schema it is.  Doing so
implies that we are supporting automated interpretation of the
underlying documents.  I feel this would be too complicated to support
without further work (and a clear use case).  The main use case we are
targeting is human discovery of the schemas.

I've attached the bit of XML that would be added to the
StandardsRegExt schema to support this if you want to see the details.
I've also appended a full example, StandardsRegExt.xml.