StandardRegExt: comments on a few changes requested

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 13 09:31:05 PST 2012

Hi registry folks,

Today I uploaded a revision of the StandardRegExt PR document to the
StandardRegExt twiki page
(http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/StandardsRegExt).
The changes were in response to the last TCG review comments.  Two of
the changes are worth noting to the WG; if you have any concerns about
these changes, please share them.

  1.  Matthew Graham (VOEvent WG) suggested that adding two more
      allowed values to the "status" attribute of the
      <endorsedVersion> element:  "iwd" and "note".  This attribute
      indicates that status of the version of the standard in the IVOA
      process, and the previously allowed versions were "rec", "pr",
      and "wd".  I agreed and added these values; however, I note that
      the schema must be updated.  This is should not be disruptive as
      I do not believe the schema has been put into use anywhere, yet.

  2.  Matthew also asked for an addition example, which I added as an
      appendix.  This triggered a need to add a paragraph to section
      3.1.2 (that is, I converted a non-normative note box to a
      normative paragraph).  This explains a recommendation on how to
      describe DAL services specifically to label optional but
      ignorable input parameters with 'use="ignore"'; see the final
      paragraph for rationale and details.

      One of the things I discovered when writing this was an error in
      the VODataService document where the use attribute is defined.
      The schema defines 3 possible values:  "required", "optional",
      and "ignore"; however, the explanatory text in the document only
      includes "required" and "optional".  I bet we can fix this
      problem pretty easily; nevertheless, I have not let this error
      stop me from making reference to the "ignore" value in
      StandardRegExt.

Your thoughts are welcome.  I will ask to have this new version to the
repository within the next day; however, I will delay request for
final consideration of the revision by the Exec until I've heard from
the RWG chair.