conventions for registering collections

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 30 10:33:48 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

In Naples, I believe it was, Markus gave a presentation that proposed
a "best practice" for registering data to the registry.  Based on my
recent studies of how the registry is used in discovery--and how it
confuses users--I agree that something like this is needed.  In
particular, I hope to see us launch a steady migration of our
registered resources to a common convention so that we can make search
results more comprehensible to both users and applications.  The first
step is to decide what that convention should be.

Therefore, I would like to propose that we put the topic on the RWG
agenda in Urbana, and I would like to nominate Markus to reprise
and/or revise his presentation.  Given that he presented this before,
it might be good to get some pre-discussion going before then.

thoughts?
Ray Plante