Registry in RSS

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jan 14 06:08:38 PST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 12:43 PM, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Not quite what I meant:  I know there are numerous feeds for actual "VOEvents", what I was proposing was a feed for "VO Events" like the availability of a new resource, overlaying the voevent infrastructure, e.g. not that the Catalina Sky Survey found an object, but that the CSS is now a broker for "Bob's-really-cool-GRB-followup-on-his-GalileoScope" program.
>
> The heretical part is that I see 'events' as a type of message, and little difference between a GRB "stream" subscription, a "KBO" one, and a "general msg" one.  Is the idea "there is something new on the sky" really that much different than "there is something new in the Registry"?  Note I'm not quite yet suggesting IVOA address these cross-WG issues, neither do I see a need for an emerging discussion on a new protocol for Tweet/Rss that shares many similarities (at least wrt the 90/10 rule) with existing standards.

As a timely example of such an astronomical, but not celestial, event see the appended IERS bulletin published this morning.  This shares numerous features with the mechanism that Mike is describing.  It cries out for a semantic representation (rather than "natural language") - such as an XML standard like VOEvent.  (And an early debate in the WG was whether "event" had a strictly celestial meaning or also included, for instance, the computer science definition of events.)

Further, it is prospective, rather than retrospective - VOEvent has to be able to describe events that haven't happened yet, in addition to reports from the historical record.  A repository of past bulletins is implicit.  It has an author (Gambis) as well as a publisher (IERS).  Delivery is transport neutral.  There are contingent metadata like the publication date and the publisher's contact information.  The message relies on several widely promulgated standards, most notably UTC.  Etc.

A field of inquiry is layered on many such streams of events, whether "event" is defined scientifically, technically or simply logistically.  Does it make sense to invent a new representation and transport protocol for each stream?  More likely there will evolve a small number of options that satisfy that 90/10 rule.  Some applications are so idiosyncratic or tightly bound that they fall into the 10%.  But too often a 90% project chooses a 10% solution for no good reason - or they choose a too broad solution (such as the text file below) that is no real solution at all.

Is Mike's heresy a high priority for IVOA attention?  I don't know, but it does seem like a good topic for the TCG workshop whenever and wherever that may ultimately be held.

Rob
---

Begin forwarded message: