Registry in RSS

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Wed Jan 13 12:29:36 PST 2010

> One thing that I've thought would potentially be very powerful would
> be for observatories to tweet events of the form:
>  "It's now YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS and I'm taking an image at RA,Dec
> with CameraX"
> One could do this with regular VOEvents (and I've mentioned it in
> that context), but my sense is that it's much culturally attuned to
> how tweeting is done generally.
>
> If there were a significant density of tweets of this form,
> astronomers could easily choose to make simultaneous observations
> and develop spontaneous collaborations.  They could mine also mine
> archived tweets to find if there was data that might be useful a
> given project.

The .Astronomy (http://dotastronomy.com) crowd is already doing this
sort of thing. For example see the list of feeds generated by Stuart
Lowe for Jodrell Bank telescopes, http://twitter.com/jodrellbank/telescopes
  which is the first link I have to hand...

There are others, amoungst other things I push all the event messages
going through my broker to Twitter (see http://twitter.com/estar_project)
  although that isn't really what we're talking about here, however
when one of my telescopes is following up on a GRB or a microlensing
position you'll get the sort of slew message you're talking about above.

At somewhat of a tangent there is Tweprints, see http://twitter.com/tweprints
  and http://www.orbitingfrog.com/arxiv/ for arXiv preprints on Twitter.

Cheers,
Al.