Differing registries, and dates

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 1 12:43:01 PDT 2010

Hi Markus,

First, thanks for pointing this out.  I've done some initial
investigation, with some conclusions, but there is definitely a problem.

Second, I wanted to concur with what Paul responded with.  While the
registry spec does not specify this explicitly, the oai update date should
be identical to the update date in the VOResource record; the definitions
of each imply this.  And certainly, the US registries implement this
assumption.

When I use the OAI ListIdentifiers, I find 3348 identifiers that EuroVO
has that STScI does not; however, when I searched for a random sampling of
these via the interactive web form at http://nvo.stsci.edu/vor10/, their
records were returned.  Thus, it appears that STScI indeed has these
identifiers but is not emitting them via the ListIdentifiers operation.
Also, I noticed that STScI was returning 2630 duplicated identifiers via
this operation.

When I use the OAI ListIdentifiers at Euro-VO, it was missing 64
identifiers returned by STScI.  However, my randomly selected subset did
not show up while searching via the Euro-VO form at
http://registry.euro-vo.org/search.jsp, suggesting that they really do not
exist in the underlying database.