Differing registries, and dates

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 08:45:09 PDT 2010

On 2010-04 -01, at 12:47, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> Plus... I had suspected some interesting interference between
> oai:datestamp and the updated attribute on ri:Resource to be at the
> root of this.  This does not seem to be the case, but still: What's
> the general opinion on them?
>
> Here's my take:
>
> oai:datestamp is the date the resource record was last changed (in
> my system, you say "(re-)publish this resource", and the point in
> time that happens becomes oai:datestamp).  This is also the point in
> time relevant for the OAI operations ("from", "until").
>
> updated, on the other hand, reflects when the "resource" itself last
> changed; my intention here has been to update it only when queries
> might yield different results (e.g., new data is ingested into the
> underlying database; this becomes somewhat tricky because there are
> computed resources for which there is no ingestion, but never mind
> the details now).

The updated attribute should also be the date that the registry record
itself was updated (not when the resource it points to was updated,
though you might have a policy of changing this attribute when the
resource has changed - possibly with updated description to note the
change)

see http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/REC/ReR/VOResource-20080222.html#restype

Paul.

p.s. - consistent harvesting is still a problem however.....