registry issue tracker

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 11 03:42:55 PST 2009

Hi RWGers,

While typing up my notes from the first registry session here in Garching,
I had an idea for facilitating our cooperation in finding and fixing
problems with records in our registries.  I thought I would share it with
you.

I am envisioning a simple web form interface in which any of us (registry
curators) may enter a problem found with one or more records.  This form
could have the following inputs:

   o  IVOA Identifier:  a * could be included to refer to multiple records
         from the same publisher.
   o  Description of the problem
   o  Yes/no Question: do you think fixing the problem requires involvement
         in the original publisher?

When the form is submitted, the service will figure out the registry that
it comes from and forward the information to the contact for the registry.
It would also record the record in displayable (pardon the overloaded use
of the term) issue registry.

Preferrably that issue registry would be a common issue tracker; however,
this might require a tad more investment (of attention) from the registry
providers.

Would our current providers find something like this helpful?  annoying?