Harvesting experiences

Aurelien STEBE Aurelien.Stebe at sciops.esa.int
Tue May 6 03:15:27 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Just a few comments on what was discussed in this thread... note that
Registry providers with actual harvesting experience opinions should
prevail.

I think Guy's idea is good. Six months should be enough warning for
everybody. Even for AuthorityID, a reserved Authority domain that was
marked as deleted by its owner could be released and open for anyone
after 6 months. This would ensure an auto-cleaning of the registries
for the years to come. It would make our registries
"deletedRecord=transient" instead of "persistent" (according to OAI).

What was agreed for deleted records on the OAI "get all" request ?
Tony's suggestion to not show deleted records would work I think, but
I'm a bit worried about mandating something that is contrary to the
OAI specification (it is, isn't it ?). They have more experience than
us on harvesting.

For the Search interface, I believe we said that the
GetResource(identifier) search query also returns deleted records,
otherwise we don't have any easy way to get back a deleted resource
(in case one would want to undelete it).

Cheers,
Aurelien

--
----
Aurélien Jérémy STÉBÉ

European Space Agency (ESA)
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
Science Operations Department (SCI-O)
Science Archives Engineering Unit (SCI-OE)

E-mail: Aurelien.Stebe at sciops.esa.int
Tel: +34 91 813 12 03  Fax: +34 91 813 12 18

European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
28691 Villanueva de la Cañada
P.O. Box 78, Madrid, SPAIN

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.