Harvesting experiences

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu May 1 05:52:06 PDT 2008

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Guy Rixon wrote:
> However, could we have some "statute of limitations" on how long a publisher
> has to keep their deleted records? Six months should be ample to get
> everybody into sync. Any harvesting registry that can't harvest within six
> months needs to drop its entire collection and start from fresh.

We can probably do this, but let's talk more about this on the list and
in Trieste.

One reason to keep the records has to do with identifiers.  The
identifiers are supposed to be permanently attached to a resource
(although any metadata, like title, can change).  Thus, if the record
remains around even after the resource deleted, you can check to see if
the identifier is taken.  However, given that people pick identifiers
using only authority IDs that they control, we really only need to know if
an authority ID is taken.  Thus, as long as we don't delete the authority
records, I think we should be okay.

Anybody else with opinions on this?