RI doc-WSDL mismatch

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 11 08:33:31 PDT 2008

Kevin and Guy,

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, KevinBenson wrote:
> Most of the astrogrid clients here tend to use GetResource but does not pay
> attention to the ResolveResource element or its namespace.  And the VODesktop
> uses xquery.    So at the moment I don't see a problem.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean by "tend".  For example,
imagine that we changed the KeywordSearch interface's parameter "to"
to "max" in the official WSDL without changing its target namespace;
suppose also that you updated your servers to comply...

   1. Do you think any of your user's use a client other than your desktop?

   2. Would any desktop functionality break (even if it is rarely used)?

   3. If the change requires an update of the desktop, how tramatic would
      it be for the users that do not update?

If the answers are "no", "no", and "not very", then I might suggest we
change the WSDL without changing the WSDL namespace.  (I have some
thoughts as to how to handle provide backward compatibility.)