multiple capabilities of the same kind

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 15 07:38:29 PST 2008

Hi Doug,

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Doug Tody wrote:
> How do we handle a service which supports two versions of the same
> interface - are these separate capability elements as well?  I suspect
> so, in which case having multiple capabilities of the same basic type
> is probably unavoidable.

There is an explicit mechanism for this.  In the case in which the two
versions both use the same capability type and the capability metadata are
the same, then one can list multiple <interface> elements, each with a
different "version" attribute.

It may be that version 2.0 of a protocol may define a different or
extended set of capability metedata.  In this case, the new version would
define a new capability type.  Thus, the two versions would be
distinguished by 2 different capability elements.

The ambiguous case that result in the same difficulty that Paul referred
to is if the two versions can be described with the same capability type
but the values of the capability metadata are different.  At the moment,
the best way to handle this case is to register these as separate
resources.