multiple capabilities of the same kind

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 15 06:30:38 PST 2008

Hi Paul,

Thanks for bringing this up.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Paul Harrison wrote:
> We have recently come across people wanting to register services with
> multiple capabilities of the same kind e.g. a resource with two capabiities
> whose standardID="ivo://ivoa.net/std/SIA",

One thing that would be important to know here is what is it that the
registrant is trying to accomplish by doing this?  What is it that is
distinction between the two SIA capabilities.  By being part of the same
resource, it is presumed that both access the same underlying data.
Assuming this is true, it could be that the capabiliity metadata is
different; if so, why?  If it is simply a matter of providing multiple
base URLs for the endpoint of the service, then this can be provided as
multiple <accessURL> elements withing the <interface>.

> OR
>
> We amend the VOResource schema and add an extra "name" attribute onto the
> capability element, which could be used to distinguish between multiple
> capabilities with the same standardID by using the value of the name
> attribute as the URI "fragment" e.g. ivo://org.mytelescope/survey#rband could
> be used to identify the individual simple image access capability within the
> resource.

This is an interesting and appealing idea; however, I note that VOResource
has already passed to recommendation.  Thus, this change would have to be
handled as a new version of the standard and passed through the process
from WD.  Given this, I would recommend that we deal with this cases with
the schema we have.

So, let's first determine what is intended by this use case.  If there is
not already an existing mechanism for dealing with the use case, then we
should, for the moment as a matter of policy, recommend registering the
SIAs as separate resources.