multiple capabilities of the same kind

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 00:28:17 PST 2008

Hi,

We have recently come across people wanting to register services with
multiple capabilities of the same kind e.g. a resource with two
capabiities whose standardID="ivo://ivoa.net/std/SIA", and this is a
reasonable thing to want to do given that either the VOResource
schema, nor the http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/VOResource.html
standard explicitly prohibit this use. However, my recollection of the
intention when designing capability is that  a resource should have
only a single capability of a particular kind (although multiple
capabilities of different were of course central to the design).
Because there was only to be a single capability of a particular kind
there is only the standardID as the "key" that can be used to identify
the particular capability within the resource, and consequently for a
resource ivo://org.mytelescope/survey that has two capabilities with
standardID="ivo://ivoa.net/std/SIA" it is impossible in software to
reference which simple image access service is required.

I think we need to rectify this before the V1.0 schema goes into
widespread use, and as I see it we have 2 possibilities;

EITHER

We amend http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/VOResource.html to make
it clear that only one resource is supposed to have only one
capability of a particular kind (= standardID attribute value), and
the above use case it achieved by simply registering two resources.

OR

We amend the VOResource schema and add an extra "name" attribute onto
the capability element, which could be used to distinguish between
multiple capabilities with the same standardID by using the value of
the name attribute as the URI "fragment" e.g. ivo://org.mytelescope/
survey#rband could be used to identify the individual simple image
access capability within the resource.

Paul.

Dr. Paul Harrison
JBCA, Manchester University