New version of VO Support Interfaces: v0.26

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed May 9 07:10:14 PDT 2007

Hey Paul,

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> I appreciated this summary and essentially agree with Aurelien's
>> assessment.  In particular, he argues that table metadata should be gotten
>> from the service, which supports my call (on the other thread ;-) for a
>> common method for retrieve table metadata direct from the service.
>>

> What it does not address it the terrible inefficiency of a client having to
> query every table service even to be able to select the services to enable an
> end user query of the style "I want to run a query over all tables that have
> a redshift column", which, as far as I am concerned, is the main motivation
> for "fine-grained" registries.

I am with you on this.  The idea here is that a registry or other
discovery service of the sort you described can use this URL to collect
all of the table metadata for global discovery in a common way for all
catalog services.  That is, the AstroGrid registry can continue to provide
this capability inside their registry.