role of the registry

Francoise Genova genova at cluster.u-strasbg.fr
Tue May 8 12:58:03 PDT 2007

Hi Bob et al

my two centimes in the debate:
I think that we have at least one good use case of a fine
grained registry, to discover information that
is used to build a SED dynamically in a way
which seems to interest astronomers when I see their reactions
(I mean astronomers which are not working on VO projects and
want to use the tool) -
Ray was making reference to this in his first message
on the subject I think.

I suppose that there will
be a presentation of it by Sebastien or someone else
from CDS in Beijing. We were willing to use
as far as possible IVOA-relevant implementation, i.e.
fine grained registry which seemed to be allowed
following previous Interop discussions, as Tony recalled in
one of the numerous previous messages.
One important aim is the raison d'etre of IVOA, i.e. to
allow interoperability, but the fact that the fine grained
registry is useful does not mean that all data providers
have to provide the whole set of information
if they do not wish to.

All of us have many things to prepare for Beijing,
and I am not sure that on my side it is worth going into more
details before the meeting. Let's discuss this further
there. As Bob said, this will be an interesting Interop.

Cheers,

Francoise