potential changes to VODataService! (fwd)

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 7 09:35:52 PDT 2007

This one missed the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 15:49:27 +0100
From: Guy Rixon <guyrixon at gmail.com>
To: Ray Plante <rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: potential changes to VODataService!

Ray,

1. The software I'm writing today is the VOSI implementation I mentioned in my
other mail to you. It's the service implementation of VOSI, so it emits
documents rather than consuming and validating them. Later, maybe next week, I
have to write the client which will need to validate. Today, I've been
validating with oXygen.

2. For validating with oXygen, I rely on the schemaLocation attributes in the
instance document and in the import statements of the various schemata. The
tool doesn't handle relative URLs in schemaLocation, so I refer to copies of
the schemata on http://software.astrogrid.org/schema in which all the location
URLs are absolute. When I write the validating client I'll probably try to make
it use the remote schemata too.

3. The service software does not use XML binding. For the client, I expect to
use XPath and/or XSLT rather than binding.

4. The question doesn't apply to the service. For the client, I intend to make
it accept any Capability for which a schema can be found on the web.

5. In the client, I would expect it not to crash, but it would reject the
input.

6. It should get it dynamically.

I note that the proposed changes probably won't be noticed by the code I'm
working on, since they don't affect Capabilities, but changes to schema make me
nervous. A "harmless" change to a schema inside AstroGrid a while back cost us
about a staff month of repairs.

Cheers,
Guy