RofR documentation, status

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 06:41:15 PDT 2007

Looks pretty good Ray. A couple small comments/questions.
a.)
In section 3 does OAI have a 'since' typically always used 'from' or
'until'?

b.) Section 3 step 1.  Wondering do you really care to harvest with the
'set' parameter?  The primary purpose of RofR is for other Registries
(such as Full Registries) to discover publishing Registries to do
harvests but a Full Registry will contain all Resources, as stated in
section 4.1 there might be other 'standard' type Resources.  Why not
just do a ListRecords with no 'set' parameter and get everything (then
as you say in your steps after the first time use the 'from' with no set
parameter)?

c.)
Section 4.3  Prefer to setup smaller publishing registries that just
contains Resources it manages and that will certainly go into the RofR,
and had hoped the Full Registries that does have an OAI interface but
not really manage any Resources would not necessarily need the
'vg:Harvest' interface would also find it's way into the RofR. From this
section I will need to make sure it has a 'vg:Harvest' interface to
place it into the RofR.  Correct?

You have a sentence: "Second, any full registry can serve this same
role, since it knows about all other searchable registries."
How does a full Registry know about these other searchable Registries if
they never made it into the RofR?
I am for your counter-argument, my thoughts were a client application
that can find all the searchable Registries (such as via RofR) might
ask/tell the user 'Found a closer Registry. Would you like this to be
your main Registry?'  But maybe we can tackle this at a later date and time.

cheers,
Kevin