STC in VOResource records

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 3 10:26:55 PST 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> Can we just pick one separator rather than  two optional ones?

It truely doesn't matter as these are opaque string, carrying no other
information.  (yes?)  We just have to make sure they are unique.  So if
you have a preference, go with it.

> Does this mean
> these separators should not (cannot) be used within authority id or resource
> key or coordsys key?

The existing rules specified in the Identifier spec still apply.  It's
just when we use the components from the IVOA ID in this specific case,
certain characters that are illegal in the xs:ID context must be
translated.

Since multiple characters can get mapped into two characters, this
convention is not fail-safe.