new roadmap, meeting schedule

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 1 15:32:12 PDT 2007

Hi RWGers,

We need to fire up some activity in this working group, so I would like to
propose an updated roadmap for upgrading to the new Registry Interface
standard.  Those of you with registries, please comment on how do-able
this will be for you.

    April 6:     Registry of Registries ready to validate registries
    April 1-30:  General upgrade efforts
    May 1:       Cross-site harvesting tests begin
    May 14:      IVOA Interop Meeting: discuss remaining problems
    May 30:      global "power-on" of new registries
    June 15:     target date for full stability.

As we have discussed, I would encourage registry administrators to keep
your old registry interfaces (complete with the old VOResource format)
running after the transition so that existing clients can continue to use
them.  Note, however, that we do not expect to keep these old format
records up to date.

Finally, please send me your suggestions for discussion topics for the May
Interop meeting in China.  We will be setting the agenda very soon.

One more bit of news for those of you wondering if I fell off the edge of
the world:  This month, I'm taking a much needed to "sabbatical" at CDS to
work on VO topics with our colleagues there.  Thus, I'm looking forward to
a break from the non-VO work that has kept me tied down.  So send me
email!