RM V1.1: or V2.0?

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue May 2 04:33:20 PDT 2006

Hi all,

In my usual slack manner, I've still not got around to submitting RM v1.1
for comments and REC status:
  http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/RM.html

It is too late now to get it through before the Interop meeting. But I was
wondering if we still want to push it forward now.

If all goes well at the Interop meeting, we should have the data models for
Registry services and applications finalized and will be looking to put that
into a document. Should we make that RM v2.0?

I was thinking that RM v2.0 could incorporate current RM information and add
to it the data models which will be discussed and agreed in Victoria. This
will be supplemented with metadata schemas expressing the xml implementation
of the metadata. So we could have the structure of RM v2.0 as:

1. Introduction
2. Philosophy of VObs Registries
3. Structure of Registry metadata
4. Common registry metadata
5. Services metadata
6. Applications metadata
7. Rules for extensions
A. UML models
B. XML Schemas

This will give a complete expression of the registry metadata in a single
document and make it easier for people to understand the whole of the
Registry. It will be v2.0 to avoid confusion about the current versions and
to signal the marked advance. Separate documents would then be provided for
the Registry Interface (since this is likely to change out of step with the
metadata) and Extension schemas.

I don't expect us to decide this here but to include it in the 'way forward'
discussions at the end of the Interop session. Anyone not going to be there
can send comments to me and I'll represent them at the meeting.

__
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292    Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311    Email:  Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Post:   Department of Physics & Astronomy,
        University of Leicester
        Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH
Web:    http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~ael

Project Manager, EuroVO VOTech   http://eurovotech.org