total number of matched results

Aurelien Stebe Aurelien.Stebe at sciops.esa.int
Fri Jun 16 08:52:16 PDT 2006

I remember talking about it briefly too. Kevin's right saying its use is
limited to informing the user. That's why I would be in favor of it,
only if it's really easy to implement. I think that with RDBMS (at least
mine) it is easy and not at all time/memory consuming. JDBC gives that
total number of rows returned, or a "COUNT(id)" query could be done.
I am not familiar with XMLDBs, so I don't know if a "COUNT(id)" query
would actually fill the memory with the records or just return the
value, or even if it's possible.

Cheers,
Aurelien