total number of matched results

Kevin Benson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 16 08:02:08 PDT 2006

Well I remember talking about it, and I do think people liked the idea,
buts its only real use is simply to tell the user how many total records
was in the query.  Currently there is a more, numberReturned, and from
attributes.

But I should note I am not in favor of it much.  If you think of
Relational db's and XMLDB's I would rather write a query that gets to a
limit like "100" (or actually 101 and strip off the last Resource Record).
And tell the user that there is more
with the more="true" attribute. Like we have now.  Instead of doing a huge
query to be put in memory only to populate one attribute of somehting like
count="8000" and return back my limit of 100 resources.  So I would vote
to leave it out or possibly make it optional in which case I won't ever
care to return it because I don't want to query no 8000 resources just to
populate the attribute.  So I can go for optional, but would not like to
make it required.

What are your thoughts.

Well I have to start going back to London from NewCastle, so logging off
for some hours.

cheers,
Kevin