applications software metadata

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 2 06:12:51 PST 2006

You must be a mind reader, Sebastien. I was thinking that only half an hour
ago. We need to be able to say that an app can be instantiated as a
server-side, ui-less command which takes parameters and returns results OR
can be downloaded and run as a GUI-type tool.

Next step, perhaps, is some sort of client-side registry which lists the
apps downloaded already, the interfaces they support, how they might be
invoked (via PLASTIC of course :) ), etc.

I do think that a flat registry is still preferable, but one which allows an
app to state that it is of both type CLIENT and of type SERVER and has
distinct interfaces in each instantiation. This then allows the addition of
other types, GRID perhaps, which we cannot yet describe.

T.